7 Benefits of VCI Packaging Materials
Manufacturers producing, shipping, storing or packaging metal parts or components are challenged by the significant and costly ramifications of product damages caused by rust and corrosion. Whether in prevention or removal, anti-corrosion or VCI packaging offers manufacturers many advantages. Before we get to these let’s set a basic foundation for what we mean when referring to VCI in packaging.
Active packaging that includes Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors (VCI) or vapor phase corrosion inhibitors that can be found inside a package, in a pouch, in special paper or emitted by films.
VCI's are molecules that inhibit corrosion by forming a thin, protective layer on a metal surface within an enclosed space. Many of the inhibitors are organic salts that condense on the metal to resist corrosion. This invisible layer prevents moisture and other environmental elements (like oxygen) from reacting with the metal surface and causing corrosion and rust. The molecules dissipate when the enclosure is opened and do not need to be removed.
So, how can you help your customers prevent corrosion during shipping, storage or packaging?
Educate them on these 7 benefits of VCI packaging materials from Zerust, one of the top manufacturers of corrosion packaging products.
1. Corrosion and packaging costs can be reduced while packaging performance increases.
2. Easy application - Simply place metal parts into Zerust packaging and seal tightly. After a few hours in the VCI packaging, when the parts are removed, they will be clean, dry and corrosion free – ready for immediate use. No extra processing necessary.
3. The VCI packaging products can be adapted to the metal product sizes, which contributes to space savings and makes for easy handling.
4. Zerust VCI packaging films, bags and papers are safe for people, recyclable and reduce waste caused by corrosion.
5. Since metals have unique characteristics like different sizes, shapes and weights, they need different forms of corrosion protection, select VCI products that prevent rust and corrosion on all types of metals and alloys.
6. VCI packaging provides comprehensive protection for metal parts and components, not only against corrosion but also against mechanical influences during transportation and storage.
7. VCI has a 5-year shelf life. Components in storage are protected from corrosion for up to five years.
If rust and corrosion is creating problems for your customer, first pinpoint the cause of the corrosion – is it in shipping or storage? Then contact Century Flexible Packaging, your local Zerust manufacturer representative, for consultation and solutions.
You can contribute to the selection of quality VCI packaging products that will increase performance and reduce product damage costs for manufacturers.