7 Reasons Pouches Make Smart Food Packaging
According to the Flexible Packaging Association, flexible packaging represents about 19% of the total $163 billion U.S. packaging industry, making it the second largest packaging segment after corrugated paper. Flexible packaging is transforming the way we package, store and ship our food.
One of the fastest growing types of flexible packaging in the food and beverage industry is stand-up pouches. Freedonia Group, an Industry Market research firm, reported that the U.S. market for flexible plastic pouches is growing at a rate of 6.5% per year and could top $10 billion by the end of the decade.
Pouches have a substantial number of valuable features. They are lightweight, sustainable, convenient and resealable which are key contributors to the growing demand for this type of food packaging. Additional innovations such as spouts, venting technologies and custom pouch shapes continues to push the market forward and offer greater convenience for a wide variety of consumers.
These are 7 reasons pouches make smart food packaging.
1) Easy to Store – Pouches take up less space on shelves and in kitchen cabinets while having the ability to fit easily into backpacks, carry bags, diaper bags and purses.
2) Easy to Open – No additional tools (can openers, scissors, etc) are necessary to open pouches. With this feature, pouches are able to provide consumer convenience in any setting.
3) Resealability – Resealable packages give consumers the ability to keep food fresh while also eliminating unnecessary waste.
4) Lightweight and Ship Friendly– As the number of food products ordered online rises, pouches ability to offer lightweight and lower shipping rates grows with it. When transported from retailers, pouches provide easy transportation while lessening the chances for food damage.
5) Convenience – Pouches provide a sense of convenience for a variety of consumers. For example, mothers can feed their babies from squeezable pouches which eliminates the need for spoons, bowls and even bibs. In addition to this, vented technology allows food to be steamed/heated in a microwave and salads are able to stay crisp for days.
6) Customizable – Flexible packaging manufacturers are offering spouted and customized sizes and shapes to fit the needs of all consumers and to give marketing differentiation.
7) Minimizes Food Waste and Contributes to Sustainability – With pouches consumers are able to better empty out the food packaging of all its contents eliminating food waste. Most flexible packaging allows for extended shelf life thereby reducing food waste.
As food manufacturers work to meet consumer demands while meeting business requirements they continue to rely on the innovations of the flexible packaging industry to provide better options for food protection and convenience. Ask Century Flexible Packaging for today’s innovations in flexible food packaging and stand-up pouches.