In May of 2016, the FDA announced new requirements on Nutrition Facts Label for packaged foods to indicate new scientific information that takes into account the relationship between types of food intake and chronic diseases such as obesity and heart disease. The purpose of the new label is to make it easier for consumers to make better informed decisions when selecting food.
A deadline for food manufacturers and brands to be in compliance with the new nutrition labeling requirements has been set for July 2018.
In summary, new labeling requirements include:
- Updated information about nutrition science
- Increasing the type, size of calories and servings per container
- Boldface of the number of calories and indicating the actual amount
- The percentage of daily nutrition value – of vitamin D, calcium, iron and potassium
Visit the FDA website and consult food packaging supplier, Century Flexible Packaging, for specifics on the new nutrition labeling rules.
The new food labeling rules present opportunities for food manufacturers to upgrade their food packaging to meet these requirements and benefit from other packaging advancements.
Food manufacturers and brands should think creatively about the redesign and consider updating the total packaging with new materials that will not only meet new FDA nutrition labeling requirements but also improve shelf appeal and convenience for customers while reducing the potential for food waste.
There are three questions flexible packaging consultants suggest asking that will help evaluate the potential value of redesigning the product packaging:
- In what ways could your product packaging better serve the needs of your customers?
- Are you aware of the full palette of new packaging solutions? For example, a square bag flexible packaging solution incorporates advanced packaging films with a variety of closures and handles to support diverse food packaging applications?
- Is your packaging designed for maximum shelf impact and ease of use?
Century Flexible Packaging can assist food manufacturers with consultation and innovative packaging solutions to meet new FDA labeling requirements and increase customer satisfaction with food packaging.